St. Colman’s Cathedral, Cloyne
St. Colman (522—604), our patron saint, founded the Church in Cloyne, County Cork. St. Colman’s Cathedral was built on older foundations in about 1250 AD.
It has undergone many changes through the centuries. Up to the year 1706 there were battlements on the walls of the nave which were then thought to be too heavy and were taken down, thus depriving the building of its original noble appearance. There is evidence, too, that there was at one time a tower at the intersection of the transepts
Previously the Cathedral of the Diocese of Cloyne, it is now one of three Cathedrals in the United Dioceses of Cork, Cloyne and Ross.
Click icon to find us: