Holy Trinity, East Ferry
Holy Trinity church was built in 1867. There has been a chapel on the site since 1302. By the late 18th century that chapel was derelict, but after some years the present church was erected on the site donated by Richard Goold Adams of Jamesbrook Hall. The architect was William Atkins. The building is red brick with limestone banding with a 75ft-high bell tower.
Holy Trinity’s interior is noted for having no connection with the electrical grid. Light and heat are provided by gas lamps and heaters. In the chancel the mosaic floor depicts a boat carrying Christ and his apostles, the gift of William Gumbleton whose short journey to worship in this church was made by boat. He was a generous local benefactor. The inside of the building is also enhanced by hand-made stained glass which includes the Gumbleton crest, and there is a mural tablet inscribed to William Atkins’s memory
Click icon to find us: