St John the Baptist, Midleton
The present church, dedicated to St John the Baptist, is the third built on the site. The original church, a Cistercian Abbey built for the monks from Monasteranenagh, County Limerick was built in 1179-80.
This church was replaced in the early years of the seventeenth century. And the current church was built in 1825.
The interior of the 1825 church was very different to the present day. Built at cost of £2,842 3s. 1d. it consisted of three rows of pews, 2 aisles and three galleries.
In 1898 a screen made of carved oak was erected and the pulpit was brought forward to be part of the screen
Click icon to find us: